Tuesday 12 February 2013

Norma - The Invisible Mother

Album review by karla@thesoundofconfusion.co.uk


Last month when we reviewed 'Joan', the first single taken from Norma’s second album 'The Invisible Mother' we began by questioning the choice of band name. After listening to the full nine-track album it's safe to say I've begun to question my life. With each listen I've not really understand what is going on or where I actually am, but at almost 48 minutes I have enjoyed every second of what can only be described as a bodily extra-terrestrial invasion courtesy of the Swedish trio that is Norma.

I won’t lie to you, I've been sitting here writing this review terrified that at any moment little baby notes are going to explode out of my belly button like a surreal musical themed take on Alien. I'd love to tell you more about Norma, but it has been almost impossible to find anything about them besides what is written on their press release. In fact, I have a massive conspiracy theory about them. In my mind we are dealing with three guys who pretend that they are from Stockholm but really they are from a galaxy far far away. They say they use instruments, but I reckon sound just shoots out from their fingertips.

It’s the music that matters to us though as usual, and what you can expect from these ominous guys in general is “a mixture of ambient, kraut, noise, electronica, indie often with a strict, repetitive bass/drum pattern and a magnificent, wide and almost hypnotic sound”. Particular tracks that get the thumbs up; 'Son in Rags' a hypnotising track reminiscent of Mike Oldfield's 'Tubular Bells' and ironically, the only lyrics I can actually catch are "I can hear you now, screaming in my ear". 'Archer's Paradox' has a trippy feel to it that reminds me of how I can only imagine it would feel to be chased by a giant LSD tablet… whilst on the moon.

'When In Doubt' has a slightly western/cowboy feel. It's a down-tempo, stripped-back track that has a lot of vocal emphasis. Lastly, '808' is a funky track, a cross between Kraftwerk and Hot Chip. When looking at the album as a whole, there is some track by track repetition, which is down to the excessive use of synth, but it’s not unpleasant or boring in the slightest. If interested in listening to this album, don’t come unprepared like I did. Essential listening gear includes a spacesuit and a phone to call for help if you lose yourself in a moment. Godspeed!

Norma's website

Buy the album





For more news, reviews and downloads follow The Sound Of Confusion on Facebook or Twitter

contact@thesoundofconfusion.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment